!-- blueadvertise.com ad code : Big Box 300x250 -->

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Actions Have Consequences and Other Rude Awakenings

Please take time to read follow up comments below... Especially this: 
"Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice."- H. L. Mencken


In an occurring theme in life, many someday learn that actions have consequences - in spite of how much they wish words could cover for their deeds. 




Still, again, many foreigners seem to be so concerned with what I think that they just cannot stop writing to me and showing their insecurities about how they panicked and ran from Japan.
ERIC IDLE - PENIS SONG
I have been asked by many Japanese people over these few weeks "Did you leave?" And when they find out that I didn't, they usually open up and start complaining about the foreigners. Of course they do. This is not unique to the Japanese. In any country in the world, they wouldn't like it. I think many Japanese are open about this to me because they know I'm half-Japanese and have been here for most of my life.


Here's an interesting letter from another foreigner whose been here for years and speaks perfect Japanese. Billy-Bob (not his real name) is also the CEO and president of a company in Tokyo. He writes:


Mike,


Saw your blog about "flyjin".  I have been looking for a word for them, and will start using it with pride.  Edogawa-ku, where I live, has been completely transformed since the earthquake.   It had the highest level of Indians in the Japan.  99% of them vanished over the first 3-4 days.  Several friends who employed them at their companies
have been left holding the bag on incomplete projects.  Another friend who works at a real estate agency says that they now have 12 apartments under their management with outstanding rents and no way to contact the contractee.  But with the law, they also can't evict for several more months.   It is a shame as it IS going to give more examples of what can happen if you rent to a gaijin.   


On flip side, I have been surprised at the appreciation by some Japanese that I am still here. I personally feel more Japanese than American so it was never an option to abandon Japan.  But I have still been surprised at how many Japanese "notice" the fact that I stayed.


-Billy-Bob


Thanks BB. Well, another excellent example of how these people who panicked and ran away from Japan have not only made things difficult for themselves - as it should (actions do have consequences) but they have messed things up for the other foreigners in this country.


I think I mentioned many things about this in the past. That even now many of those who left keep trying to make excuses and try to deflect criticism shows that they haven't learned anything. There are many others who think that they do not deserve criticism or pay cuts - or even being terminated at work...


Well, Flyjin and Flyjin apologists, as someone so deftly pointed out, if you don't like the criticism in public or at work, then you have already proven that you are free to leave anytime you like without any ties to responsibility or the welfare of others or your company.


As another has pointed out: 


"They (Flyjin apologists) do not understand that "freedom: does *not* mean that you can do what you want when you want to do it. Nor does it mean that you do not need to take responsibility for your actions. We are living in sad times." 


Flyjin keywords? Link to: coward, irresponsible, irresponsibility, panic, foreigner, poor management, no risk management or assessment skills, no respect, poor leaders, no leadership, undependable, losers....


NOTE: To those Flyjin apologists who have threatened to kick my ass, let me just state one thing clearly. I do not, I repeat, do not allow you to insult me this way. When you refer to me as "Self-centered, overly righteous jerk" Make that, "MISTER Self-Centered, Overly Righteous Jerk." And smile when you say that. I will see you in the playground after school!

No comments:

Post a Comment